Thursday 4 April 2013

Ode to the Exclamation Mark! (for all my proof reading friends)



Oh what joy, oh what a lark
To ponder the exclamation mark!
I'm told it is a dying art
to use the exclamation mark

In modern 'proof' it is not needed
But I'm afraid I've often pleaded
Why oh why must I delete it?
For it will leave me uncompleted
.
It serves a very worthy purpose
When pain and anguish are in surplus
Or for the element of surprise
Praps when your protagonist dies ...ahhh!!!!

In this modern age of texting
The exclamation needs some flexing
How else you get my voice and tone
Unless you answer your damn phone!

How can I write hip hip hooray!
Without the mark to join the fray?

I know the way we choose our words
Should speak our volumes

but how absurd

When just a stroke and little dot
Gives emphasis to mark that spot

So let me hear no more of this
Insisting it's just amateurish ...
 If this poet should have her way -

The exclamation mark, is here, to stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment