Saturday 23 November 2013

I see you, Zacchaeus

I see you, Zacchaeus
up high in the sycamore tree
Shall I join you?


We could dream of days gone by
when smallness was a simple joy
the seed of greatness
tucked inside your heart
waiting for a ray of light.


It’s hard isn’t it, Zacchaeus?
when desperate eyes
accuse you, detest you
h
ate you for being who you are
and who you are not
Yes, I see you, Zacchaeus
There presides the king of tax collectors
A cut above the others , you think
yet so despised
In your heart you wonder
what happened?
to that young, shy boy
who used to climb trees
hide from the world and dream


A child
stretching his imagination, up, up, up
well beyond
his small, imprisoned self …
watching, waiting ... for me.
Here I am at last, Zacchaeus

Come down from there a while
 – take my hand
Let’s talk a little, share some food
refresh our souls
to face another day.


I have always known
what’s in your heart
knew that one day,
You would come to me.


Today is a new beginning
to get to know each other better
Soon you will see your true self.
Not the little self, accumulating riches
trying to fill that vast vault inside
with worldly treasures …


But you … the you I made you to be
a small boy dreaming big
content to swing his legs up in the trees
and feel the sap quickening in his veins
Longing for love; longing to truly live
Happy to believe.



Amanda Edwards © 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment