Tuesday 25 December 2012

Being connected

The ancient Greek Philosopher Epictetus wrote: "the Universe is but one great city, full of beloved ones, divine and human by nature, endeared to each other.  Caring for each other is a cosmic  obligation that we all share. We each are an individual fragment of a collective soul and are called to help each other, to live with a compassionate awareness of all of humanity."

(Invisible Acts of Power, Carolyn Myss)

If we are all part of a 'collective soul' then it makes a lot of sense to do all that we can to help each other, because one small act of kindness or compassion, will have a ripple effect throughout the Universe.  At Christmas, we all reach out to our family and friends to celebrate the day, no matter what our beliefs. It can be a time of great joy, but also sadness, when the people we love are no longer here to celebrate with us.  How wonderful if we could hold out our hand, and reach out to people who need a bit of extra love at Christmas. I wrote a poem a while back with this idea in mind. If we hold hands, and feel that connection with each other, we could spread a bit of love, right around the world.




 




Oh, how I wish
I could hold your hand
and feel the love
flow from you to me
Just once.

Perhaps then
I would have no doubt
That when the gloom
settles around my heart
I can remember your touch


And know ...


Your light will always
penetrate my darkness
No matter what.


Amanda Edwards (c) 2012






2 comments:

  1. I know
    Somehow, I know
    "Your light will always
    penetrate my darkness
    No matter what."

    I specially like this one Amanda... love the way you write...

    ReplyDelete