Saturday 2 March 2013

A summer's evening

Two of my young collies ran off one evening ... chasing rabbits. No amount of calling and whistling made a jot of difference! A dog with its nose focused on rabbit scent, hears nothing!  In the end I left them to it; came back an hour or so later and called again. I could hear excited barks in the distance, so I relaxed a bit, and stared for a while at the stars instead. A lovely evening to be out and about; so nice to see your dogs running free.


the evening of farmland picture material



Rabbiters

The stars are out, the moon is full
Our dogs are lost upon the hill
Chasing rabbits here and there
Two young pups without a care.

They have no fear of man or gun
For them it’s just a bit of fun
But collies loose without control
Make a flock quite vulnerable.

I call and whistle, all in vain
Excited barks, the scent is plain
Nothing to do but wait and see
Til they come back, eventually.

The stars are out, the moon is full
A glorious evening, calm and still
My dogs know what is best for me
To watch them run and let them be.


No comments:

Post a Comment